current motivational quote

"Yesterday you said tomorrow." —Nike

Thursday, December 11, 2008

half-marathon, etc.

So I've been pretty consistent lately with my running. Thing is, I still can't get myself to run longer than 5 miles or well, more like 4.75 miles at a time. It just sucks. For some reason, I'm just not mentally prepared to run longer than 50 minutes or 4.75 miles, etc. So for now, I can honestly say I am so not ready for that half-marathon this coming February 2009. The thought of finishing a half-marathon feels wonderful, but I'm just so not ready for it mentally. Physically, I really do think I can do it... it's just that I feel it's more mental than physical.

Well, today's the 11th, I still have until early January to decide. I think the deadline to register for the Kaiser Permanente half-marathon is like January 10th or something... so maybe by January 5th or so, I really should make up my mind on whether or not I'm going to run that half marathon. First, I know I just need to get in some 8-9 mile runs and see how I feel. Maybe I should try doing that before Christmas. Or maybe the next time I run I should try to go longer than 4.75 miles. I know I've been working on my speed/pace lately. I'm getting better at it and is able to sustain the pace, but it's still tough. Yesterday I did the Lake in under 42 minutes. I remembered the first time I ran the Lake... I think I finished it in 53 minutes and something seconds. My pace was more like a 12-something minute pace. Yesterday, my pace was 8:49 a mile. It's just crazy... to see that I've improved my Lake time by over 10 minutes!

Overall, I'm just really impressed with what I've accomplished so far. I could totally remembered back in mid-July after my birthday and telling Mark that I was going to attempt to run again. I was so out of shape. I haven't ran in months, years even! And to see where I am today, the physical (positive) changes it's doing to my body and health, it's just great! Anyway, I know I really would like to complete a half-marathon one of these days. I just hope 2009 will be the year... but to get there, I know I have to really prepare myself mentally for all that running. I know that if I put the effort and just do it, I can run that many miles and complete my first half-marathon!

All and all, we'll see. I guess for now if I can gradually add some extra distance or minutes to my runs, that would be great! We'll see. :)

No comments:

goals

  • Cardio (running, elliptical or rowing machine), at least 3x a week
  • Eat more healthy (plan more meals)
  • Complete one full round of P90X :)
  • Get down to 95lbs? okay, 100lbs first then!
  • Runners' legs (still striving for 'em sexy calves/legs!)
  • Flat tummy (still working on it)
  • Run my first half marathon??!! -- nike women's marathon (oct 2010)
  • Run/complete SF marathon's progressive marathon/5K in july (i can't do the half or full marathon, my leg's still not 100%)
  • Run nike+ humanrace10k 8.31.08



  • race results

    07/26/09: 3.1 miles -- SFM 5k 29:21 :)
    11/23/08: 4 miles -- great highway 37:48 :)
    11/16/08: 3.1 miles -- polo fields 5k 29:35 :)
    09/21/08: 4.5 miles -- lake merced race 46:56 :)
    09/14/08: 4 miles -- stern grove 4mile 43:20

    08/31/08: 6.2 miles -- nike+ 10k race! 67:38 :)
    08/10/08: 3.1 miles -- my first 5k! 33:20 :)

    BEST MILE:
    7:30 (03/08/10 -- street)
    7:58 (11/20/09 -- 1 mi race)
    8:37 (11/16/08 -- race)
    8:50 (10/5/08 -- track)